Re: Pango with OpenGL on Android (and desktop linux)

Thanks Ralph for sharing.  I've taken a note of the project.

On 14-10-01 09:27 PM, Ralph Thomas wrote:
Hi Pango people,

I made a game for Android[1] with a friend this summer -- I wrote a minimal UI
toolkit that draws with OpenGL directly. I struggled for a while on text
(Android doesn't give you access to the shaped glyphs and offsets) before
building Pango and its dependencies for Android and writing a new renderer
that emits geometry and a glyph cache suitable for use with OpenGL.

My code (as well as a script to build pango et al with NDK) is available here:

  https://github.com/iamralpht/letterplex

I don't have any examples of usage in there yet, but I'm happy to add some if
there's any interest. It uses the freetype backend, so doesn't depend on
Cairo. It supports colored text, but doesn't yet implement rect drawing (so no
backgrounds, underlines or strikethroughs).

I was incredibly grateful to be able to get nice looking text without too much
work. My library links against a regular build of pango (that's what the
Makefile does) so if there's interest in making a traditionally packaged
library out of it, or integrating it into pango proper then I'd like to help
facilitate that.

Thanks!
Ralph

[1]: