Re: Unhelpful error message

On Oct 5, 2013, at 4:00 PM, Steve White <stevan white gmail com> wrote:

Hi John,

We're clueless about the nature of the problem partly because the
warning message is opaque.

Ronald's question was how and to whom to report.  You mention Gtk devs...

We are both suggesting, a better message might reduce our
cluelessness, and the cluelessnes of many other users.

This is a Gtk list, and the warning is from Gtk, so I mentioned Gtk devs
since that's who can add a better warning message. Some of us monitor this
list, but more can be reached by filing a bug.

Would you find phrasing like the following less opaque?

"The locale you have set in your environment isn't supported by your operating system. Please consult the
appropriate operating system documentation to either change the locale to one that is supported or to install
the one you have set.
In the meantime, the program will run in the 'C' locale, which almost always
means US English."

Regards,
John Ralls