Making Graphite2 work with Pango?

Hi,

I need to make Graphite2 work with Pango. I've installed the whole rendering stack required (as far as I'm aware), and Pango is working properly (I'm testing it with my own C program rendering a text string to a Cairo surface using PangoCairo functions).

During installation, ./configure for Harfbuzz recognised Graphite2 engine present, and ./configure for Pango recognised Harbuzz present. I've installed a couple of Graphite fonts, and confirmed Pango is definitely using them by checking pango_run->item->analysis.font on the rendered text.

One font is an official simple Graphite test font, http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=projects&item_id=graphite_fonts#f6ce866a which makes consonants upper case and vowels lower case. Using this font in my setup just renders the text normally as typed, without making the upper/lower case changes expected.

I also tried a Javanese font and test page, here: https://sites.google.com/site/jawaunicode/sample-text-1 . I can't read the language but my output looks very similar but without the correct diacritics under some symbols.

I assume in both cases this shows the Graphite2 functionality or rendering engine is not being engaged.

I haven't done anything in the code to specify a particular engine as I assumed it happened automatically somehow according to what was required by a particular run of text. I do need my setup to switch in an automated way somehow between rendering engines etc (e.g. Graphite2 or OpenType) as I will be passing many different languages through it, sometimes mixed within the same body of text.

Many thanks for any ideas on how to get this working!

Alex