Pango build fails - no Cairo font backends found

Apologies, I know this is something of a newbie question but Google (and searching archives for this mailing list) isn't turning up any answers despite a while looking...

I'm trying to setup a rendering stack so I can render text in a variety of fonts to a Cairo surface (using a C prog).

I have installed very latest versions (as of writing) of: Ubuntu 32 bit server edition, Freetype, Graphite2 (I need to use Graphite fonts as well as OpenType ones), GLib, Cairo, Harfbuzz, Fontconfig All installed fine. Doing a ./configure on latest Pango (1.34.1) goes fine until: (exact output shown)

checking for HARFBUZZ... yes
checking for FONTCONFIG... no
no
checking for CoreText availability... no
checking for CAIRO... yes
checking which cairo font backends could be used... none
configure: Disabling cairo support
configure: error: *** Could not enable any backends.
*** Must have at least one backend to build Pango.

Is Fontconfig the cairo font backend it thinks isn't there? Doing a "dpkg --get-selections" lists fontconfig, fontconfig-config, libfontconfig1:i386 and libfontconfig1-dev as all being installed.

Stuck! Any ideas anyone please?

Many thanks,
Alex