Building Pango1.32.6, requirement on harfbuzz

So I was attempting to build Pango 1.32.6 today. And was hitting an error because it said it could not find any cairo font backends.

I had just successfully built cairo with FreeType and Fontconfig, and verified by hand pkg-config could see them so I did a bit more digging.

I dug into the configure script that ships with Pango 1.32.6 and tried to unravel where it was getting off the rails.

Long story short, I traced it down to one problem. I didn't have harfbuzz, so it never looked for my fontconfig, and subsequent freetype.

So is fontconfig dependant on harfbuzz? Here are the related couple of the lines from the configure script.

#
# Check for fontconfig
#
have_fontconfig=false
if $have_harfbuzz ; then

So it does not check for fontconfig if have_harfbuzz is not true.

It looks like it is pretty dependant on it. Should configure probably error out a bit harder when Harfbuzz fails,