Descending glyphs overlap with ascending glyphs in next line

Hello all.

I'm new developing a new application using Pango, with Cairo backend.

I have discovered that, using default line spacing, descending glyphs
in one line can overlap with ascending glyphs in the next line

For example:

Style
&Äm

In this example, showing this text with pango-view, without setting
any option, with de default serif font in my Ubuntu Linux, the 'y' in
the first line overlaps with the 'Ä' in the second line.

Is this the intended behaviour? Should the line-spacing be manually
adjusted always? Or is this a bug?

Please, cc me, as I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks a lot.

--
David Marín Carreño <davefx gmail com>