Absolute paths in pango library

We have a product which is now using pango. We are intending to ship binary copies of the pango libraries for Red Hat Linux and Solaris, and the customer can install this anywhere within their directory structure. I have identified an issue with the pango.modules file, which contains (a) hard-wired absolute paths to the build locations for shared libraries implementing the script engines and (b) is located by an absolute path somewhere else within the pango libraries.

At the moment I have identified that (a) can be solved by running pango-querymodules as part of the installation process, using the full directory path that the customer has installed the product under (with the proviso that it then cannot be moved). And that (b) can be solved by using the PANGO_RC_FILE environment variable to point to a custom file which also needs to be constructed at installation time when the absolute path is known.

Both of these solutions seem, well, rather clumsy. I wonder whether there is something more elegant that I have missed ?

Thanks

Phil Cope

Senior Software Engineer, GE Software Solutions Group