Persian joining and Pango.

Hello there,

I’m one of the XEmacs developers. Our GTK version, available here:
http://anonscm.debian.org/hg/xemacs/xemacs-gtk/ , uses Pango. Joining for
Arabic-specific characters works fine, but joining for Persian-specific
characters doesn’t. So when I type:

الف به په ته ثه

alef, beh, teh and theh appear with no problems (well, the bidi is iffy, but
one step at a time), while peh doesn’t join to heh. On the same
machine, pango-view with the same text joins with no problems.

I’ve tried setting the GTK language to Persian; this doesn’t work because
the system locale doesn’t support it, but as far as I can see it shouldn’t
be necessary anyway. It’s not immediately obvious to me where to look next;
any pointers would be welcome.

Some version info:

$ pango-view --version
pango-view (pango) 1.28.4
Pango module interface version: 1.6.0
$ pkg-config --modversion pango
1.28.4
$ pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0
2.22.1
$ pkg-config --modversion fontconfig
2.8.0
$ pkg-config --modversion freetype2
12.2.6
$

Best,

Aidan

--
‘Iodine deficiency was endemic in parts of the UK until, through what has been
described as “an unplanned and accidental public health triumph”, iodine was