Re: Pango crossplatform layout size query

On 30/04/2010, at 6:42 AM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

On 04/12/2010 07:22 PM, Richard Procter wrote:

[re font metrics hinting] For me, the key to clarity is not quantisation
per se but whether or not the layout calculations try to minimise
inter-glyph spacing error arising from the limited precision of the
device, so as to buy better glyph spacing at the cost of a
device-dependent layout width. (Of course, I may be clearly having the
wrong idea :).

I suspect that 'quantisation' carries those connotations for you and
so the ambiguity doesn't arise.

We are basically talking about the same thing.

Good. My reason for going into this was to let you know why when
I read the documentation the significance of 'font metrics hinting'
flew right over my head. If I find time I will submit a doc patch.

Great. I take it that I am basically on the right track then and that
when you said cross-platform results without metrics hinting were
'fairly robust' you were thinking of that single device pixel.
[...]
By "more or less" I mean: it is supposed to work, but I'm fairly confident
that there are a few bugs...

Great - thanks for the reply.

Regards support of font metrics hinting on win32 - it just looks to have
been a typo, a comparision of CAIRO_HINT_METRICS_OFF against
options.hint_style rather than options.hint_metrics. Fix that, and the
win32 backend obeys the hint metrics setting. I will submit a patch
against cairo (and it's a good reminder for me that C enums are macros
in drag).

best,
Richard.