Problem with charactermap(?)/utf8 - pango+cairo on win32 (without gtk)

Hello !
I'm not (yet) familiar with the concepts of pango - so i ask here
instead of studying the docs/sources for months ...

The problem (wich tortured me for 4 days !):
Wrote an App using cairo for drawing without gtk (platform .NET 3.5/Lang
c#, latest packages from http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html) - now
i like/have to render text using pango/pangocairo. Text is rendered -
but only standard/ASCII-chars. Here's the code:

IntPtr /* PangoLayout* */ layout;
IntPtr /* PangoFontDescription* */ desc;
IntPtr cr = cc.state; // the cairo-context

layout = pango_cairo_create_layout(cr);

pango_layout_set_text(layout, @"Attention äöü реалыбад end.", -1);
desc = pango_font_description_from_string("Arial, Bold,14");
pango_layout_set_font_description(layout,desc);
pango_font_description_free(desc);

pango_cairo_update_layout(cr, layout);
pango_cairo_show_layout(cr, layout);

The text i like to render is "Attention äöü реалыбад end" -> but the
result shows the aou-Umlaut as a "crossed" box [X], the Cyrillic chars
as "?" but "Attention" and "end" is o.k.

Don't know, where to start ...
Thanks for reading ...
Georg