OpenType features in Pango

I have written a simple program that takes some text and a (very small) subset of CSS attributes over stdin, applies the attributes, calculates layout dimensions, and draws the text to a PNG. It works great -- and once I got used to it, Pango was very easy to use.

Now I want to try and add some OpenType features to my program. For example, I want to be able to use glyph substitution for ligatures (first priority) and stylistic sets (lower priority, but I imagine the methodology is similar to ligatures).

How difficult is it to use these features from Pango? I've done some pretty exhaustive googling but I couldn't find any info on glyph substitution other than for language purposes. Does anyone have an example they could point to?

Thanks so much!
Jeremy