UTF-8 and japanese text

I'm trying to display UTF-8 encoded japanese text ("一二三四五六 七八九" ;-)) using pango. Under Mac OS X and Linux, this works perfectly. Under windows, I get empty boxes and lots of pango warnings:

  Pango critical: pango_coverage_get: assertion 'index >= 0' failed

The warnings appear using pango 1.18.2 and 1.24.2. Arabic works in all cases, so I'm sure the file hasn't changed and UTF-8 support is there in theory. The error happens using Bitstream Vera Sans, Arial and Verdana.

What other things could be affecting this?

Ulrich von Zadow | +49-172-7872715
Jabber: coder c-base org
Skype: uzadow