Re: FYI: "Requirements of Japanese Text Layout" W3C Working Draft

Tony Graham wrote:
FYI, the W3C has a working draft of "Requirements of Japanese Text
Layout" available at http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-jlreq-20081015/

Wow. The level of detail in this is something that for English I think you'd need to look in sources like Hart's Rules and the Chicago Manual of Style just to begin to compile. AFAIK there is no W3C document covering Latin or any other script that goes into anywhere near this level of detail about things I suspect only very experienced compositors or copy editors would usually know.

I don't know anything about Japanese text layout so I can't comment on the details - but I think it is very useful for non-Japanese speaking developers to have this kind of detailed information about Japanese text formatting available in English so they can design applications to accommodate these requirements.

Are there any plans for W3C to prepare this sort of document for other non-Latin writing systems?

- Chris

The task force is looking for feedback (to www-i18n-comments w3 org) by
15 November 2008.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony Graham MenteithConsulting com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2