Re: CSS fonts only?

Gail

Please clarify, what exactly do you mean by "font faces that cannot
described in CSS" and 'font faces which CSS cannot support'?

Examples?

- Chris

Gail Carmichael wrote:
Hey all, I haven't heard back from anyone. I would really like to discuss this issue with some developers. Thanks!! :)

Gail

Gail Carmichael wrote:
Hi everyone!

I just joined this list because I've been working on text in Inkscape for the last year or so (though mostly just during last year's Summer of Code, what with being busy in school), which as you probably know uses Pango for font management.

One thing I would like to do in Inkscape is add support for font faces that cannot described in CSS. I started laying the foundation for this last year, but cannot go further because Pango does not support fonts beyond those which CSS can support (please correct me if I have misunderstood this fact!).

I would very much like to continue in this direction this summer, but to do this, Pango would have to change. The purpose of this email is to find out from you guys whether this is possible. Being a newcomer, I am unsure whether there are some fundamental or philosophical issues to be considered before adding to the possibilities in the font weight and variant and style (etc) structures.

Having said all this, if it IS desirable to support more variety of fonts, in the sense that the font structures can describe these fonts fully, I am interested in contributing to Pango to make this happen, likely as part of this year's Summer of Code (through Inkscape).

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Gail
(http://gailcarmichael.com if you want to know more about me)