Re: pangocairo show_glyph_string vs. glyph_string_path

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 13:31 +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello Behdad,
>
> thanks for the explanation.
>
> Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 23:14 +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> >
> >> in one application I try to use pango_cairo_glyph_string_path() so
> >> that I can specify subsequent fill and stroke.
> >>
> > You don't seem to be positioning the runs at all.
> >
> > Guessing at what you want to do, you have two options:
> >
> >   - Use pango_cairo_layout_path().
> >
> My application is this: I have an umlimited amount of text streaming in,
> of which I do not know the contents beforehand,
> as they are created dynamically. Think of a stock ticker bar, or a news
> headlines bar scrolling by horizontally, or
> vertically, like in a movies credits screen.

IMO you should break your incoming text at proper points and just render
it piece by piece.  But I believe you are already on your way to do
that.

> I want to layout this text on the screen piecewise, but also be able to
> add visual effects to each glyph appearing.
> >   - If you really want to handle each run separately, subclass
> > PangoRenderer and let pango deal with positioning runs and call back
> > your method to render each run.
> >
> I'll look into this. Is there any sample code this does this?

Checking gtk+/gdk/gdkpango.c out is probably the best place to start for
that.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/