How to start using Pango?

Hello,

I'm trying to do some text layout (not using higher level stuff like
gtk) and looked into Freetype which works but requires you to handle
more sophisticated stuff (OpenType GPOS/GSUB) yourself.

I'd like to evaluate Pango for that but am stuck before writing the
first line of code - I can't simply find how to begin.

In the Reference Manual I found rendering and manipulating functions as
much as you want. But I'm still missing a way to choose or load a font
(i.e. creating a PangoFont structure) or fill basic structures like
PangoGlyphString.

I'd appreciate some pointers or a short howto.

Regards,
Jürgen