Pango problem after upgrading from Ubuntu Edgy to Feisty on PowerPC

Hi,

my friend has an eMac G4 700 Mhz in which has installed Ubuntu.
He has dist-upgraded it from Ubuntu Edgy (6.10) to Feisty (7.04).
But he encountereed this font problem: all characters of every fonts
are seen as squares:

http://www.trapanator.com/DSC00005.JPG

this problem appears in the login GDM screen, too.

The one and the only application that this problem doesn't appears is the...
Terminal (only the contents, the characters of the menu are squared).

Then I tried to launch gnome-font-properties, in the terminal I see the
standard error:

kereo Mac:~$ gnome-font-properties

(gnome-font-properties:6529): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically
loaded modules were found. Pango will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
'/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running pango-querymodules.

I don't have pango-querymodules and /etc/pango/pango.modules neither.

Some idea?