Re: [gtk-i18n-list] Re: On CJK font selection (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings])

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:08:05 -0500
Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:

>On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 23:04 +0900, mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:48:50 -0500
>> Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
>> >Setting locale is actually enough.  If that's not desired,
>> >$PANGO_LANGUAGE can be set as a fallback.  So far seems like most of the
>> >issues happen because either the users are not setting locale correctly
>> >or are using crappy fonts.  How do I don't care enough about those cases
>> >I'm not surprised.
>>
>> Excuse me, PANGO_LANGUAGE is the solution to modify the
>> Pango's behaviour that Qianqian & Abel ask for fix?
>
>It's a way to tell Pango which of the CJK languages to prefer.  It's
>main use is when running under non-CJK locale (en_US for example) and
>the text doesn't have language tags.  It solves most of the "multiple
>fonts used in the same line" issues with CJK characters.

Excuse me again, please let me know more detail.
I attached a picture to describe the behaviour I want to fix.

The picture (1), (2), (3) are screenshots under English.

If I execute gedit as
	$ env LANG=C PANGO_LANGUAGE=en gedit
font is not changed during I type "[" then "a".

The picture (1'), (2'), (3'), (4') are screenshots under Japanese.

If I execute gedit as
	$ env LANG=ja_JP.euc-jp PANGO_LANGUAGE=ja gedit
and I type "[" then "a" then "あ". The font to display
"[" is dynamically changed as (2'), (3'), (4') during
typing keys. The dynamically font switching shifts the
baseline up and down, it looks as strange zig-zag behaviour.
I could not stop this switching by setting PANGO_LANGUAGE=en
nor PANGO_LANGUAGE=ja. How can I stop this switching?

Regards,
mpsuzuki