Re: e-mail delivery gone crazy

On 2007-08-17 08:33-0500 Boncek, John wrote:

I've been subscribed for a long time, receiving regular delivery.  Last
night I received 42 messages from this list, with dates as far back as
October of last year.

Same here.  My guess is this mailing list has been configured badly for the
case when the mail is temporarily undeliverable.  That would explain why
only a small subset of the e-mail was held back pseudo-randomly over the
course of the last year.  The algorithm appears to be hold on to all the
first-time undeliverable mail until some fixed date in the year.  That fixed
date appeared to be last night.

All the above is speculation of course, but something really strange did
happen with a relatively small subset of the messages (I got about 30
delivered last night) over the last year so I think it is time to review the
configuration of this mailing list.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).