(gimp:17860): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana Not-Rotated 9.9990234375'

Hi Guys,

I have the following message displayed in the console window when I run gimp

/(gimp:17860): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtengine",

(gimp:17860): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana Not-Rotated 9.9990234375'

/The second error is the one that I'm interested in as I thing it's where the problem is . After having typed 'gimp' in the console window the application starts and the usual dialogue boxes are displayed, however two things are noticeable...

- There's no text what so ever in any of the pull-down menus or along the top of the dialogue box. There's no text in the help text or anywhere. - You can click on the invisible text and a drop down menu appears again it has no text , what's more the pull down area is expanded hugely in a horizontal direction so that the sides of the menu are off screen.

If I remove the verdana fonts from the system ( they were only located in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/ ) then the pango warning changes to /(gimp:17860): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Ariel Not-Rotated 9.98............'

/The problem isn't just gimp, but also AVG. However other applications which I believe use GTK such as as firefox, thunderbird and audacity are unaffected.

This problem happened when I upgraded the following packages to their latest versions..

atk-1.9.1
gtk+-2.10.6
libpng-1.2.8
pkg-config-0.20
cairo-1.2.0
gtk+-2.10.6
pango-1.14.7
tiff-3.7.4
glib-2.12.4
jpegsrc-6b

The version of gimp I'm using is 2.2.4-3

I also tried pango-1.15.0 but the same problem 'no text displayed in the menus still exists' All these packages were compiled from source with no errors.

Having googled for this error their seem to be a number of people that have this error, but none of the posts resulted in a solution.

Is this a bug in pango ?
Has anybody a solution ?
Why do some gtk applications work and others not ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Nick Law