Re: Problem with Pango displaying Greek letters under Linux

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Nick Chorley wrote:

> I have a program with a GUI written in GTK+ (by me!) and I'd really like to
> be able to display Greek letters, rather than write things like "alpha".
> Note that this is *not* a programming question, because the problem is not
> how to put Greek letters in labels (as I found out how to do that). The
> program compiles fine, but when I run it, I get the following error message:
>
> Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
>
> and the Greek letters aren't displayed. I'm using version 1.8.2 of Pango and
> what's puzzling me is that *the same code works fine under FreeBSD 6.0, with
> the same version of Pango*. For information, I'm using things like "\u03B1"
> as the strings for the labels in GTK+, e.g.
>
> GtkWidget *label = gtk_label_new("\u03B2");

The interpretation of such a thing pretty much depends on your
compiler, but most probably this doesn't generate what you have
in mind, or at list not on your Linux.  Try using
g_unichar_to_utf8 instead.

behdad

> Any ideas as to why this doesn't work right under Linux?
>
> Thanks!

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"