Re: replacement for pfx2ttf.fontforge

> > I can add the I+J->IJ stuff for OpenType script `latn', language
> > `NLD ' (Dutch), if you want me to do that.  Similarly, I can
> > disable the f+i->fi stuff for languages `TRK ' (Turkish) and
> > `PTG ' (Portuguese) -- I'm not sure about the latter, however.
>
> I thought that the idea was to put this knowledge in Pango rather
> than in the font, so font coders don't have to duplicate this info a
> zillion times for each font.

This is tricky.  Think of the Turkish case where you must not have
f+i->fi because this language has a dotless i also.  Instead, there
might be a hypothetical rule

  f + i -> f + <small horizontal space> + i

within the font to pronounce visibility.  This small horizontal space
is definitely font dependent.

I think that ligature rules which actually produce a visible result
(this is, a ligature glyph) should be within the font -- this is done
so in both Type 1 and OpenType fonts.

On the other hand, input ligatures as provided by TeX like

  ` + ` -> <doublequote glyph>

should not be part of the font.

Behdad, what do you think?

    Werner