Re: Chinese Simplified appearance

Hi

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:26:35 -0500
"Boncek, John" <jboncek Hunter COM> wrote:

>Attached is a screen shot of a screen we are generating using Pango with
>GTK 2.2.4.  It is a print preview screen with the printout mostly in
>Chinese Simplified.  Does the Chinese look correct?  It looks to us like
>Pango may have selected different sizes or boldness of fonts for different
>characters in the same line in many cases.  Does it do this automatically
>when the selected font size doesn't have all the characters, or is there
>some other problem?

It seems that most of Hanzi glyphs are extracted from fonts for
Traditional Chinese scripts (Japanese, Korean or Taiwanese:
I'm afraid some Japanese font is selected). The rest Hanzi which
exist only in Simplified Chinese charset are extracted from
Simplified Chinese font. Saying shortly, "non-Simplified Chinese
font has higher priority than Simplified Chinese font, in Pango's
font scanning".

I remeber the priority is controlled by environment variables,
so I'm afraid some environment variables (LANG or CHARSET) are
not set for Simplified Chinese.

Regards,
mpsuzuki