Re: relocatable pango?

Owen Taylor wrote:
If you want your patch not to be lost, you need to put it into Pango
bugzilla (bugzilla.gnome.org ... see README file for details.)

I've just created bug #321419 for this.

I'm not opposed to the idea of expanding environment variables in
the config files, but it's not clear to me how environment variable
expansion in config files really improves the ability to relocate
Pango ... having to write wrapper scripts that set environment variables
isn't that appealing.

The variables don't have to be controlled through wrapper scripts; the main application can also set them before Pango initialization. As I'm writing this, I realize that I can't recall Pango having an explicit initialization function. How does this work anyway?

This is arguably a horrible hack, but if you can figure out how to get
the location of the Pango library under OS X, it seems that this would
be a lot nicer for end-users than requiring wrapper scripts.

I'm not sure if this is possible at all. Can you get at the installation dir of the pango library on Linux? For a MacOS X app, it's not so much a problem, since Launch services provides the .app directory from which you can figure the directory that you installed libpango in.

--
 Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwen xs4all nl - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen