Re: How to determine installed locales on the system?

Not sure if there's a good way to do that. You can take a look at what
"locale -a" does:
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/libc/locale/programs/locale.c?rev=1.56&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=glibc
See the function write_locales(), which is preceded by the following comment.

/* Write the names of all available locales to stdout.  We have some
   sources of the information: the contents of the locale directory
   and the locale.alias file.  To avoid duplicates and print the
   result is a reasonable order we put all entries is a search tree
   and print them afterwards.  */

Noah