Unexpected rendering of Devanagari 'ra' followed by virãm & ZWNJ

Hello all,

The rendering for the Devanagari combination

   ha + ra + virãm + ZWNJ
   (U0939 + U0930 + U094D + ZWNJ)

is causing the 'ra' to be displayed above the 'ha' like a 'repha'. I've noticed this on pango-1.6.0-7 when using gedit-2.8.1-2.fc3 and firefox-1.0-2.fc3 (with pango enabled) in Fedora Core 3. This is only very slightly different (upon closer inspection) from the rendering for the combination

   ra + virãm + ha [+ ZWNJ]

However, to the lay reader, both the renderings are indistinguishable. So, is the 'ra' rendering like a 'repha' in the former case a bug? I guess this is not an artifact of the fonts that I'm using for I've seen this with Sanskrit2003, Shideva, Raghindi, and Mangal fonts.

[Ofcourse, the 'ha' is just a token consonant for the sake of example. One could use any other consonant, or none at all.]

Arguably, a combination like what I mention above would be rarely expected in actual text unless there is a real character following the ZWNJ. But I actually ran across it in an autogenerated text sample where the ZWNJ is placed after the virãm (to possibly prevent it from conjoining with any following consonant).

Also, I don't see this behaviour if I put the ZWJ instead of the ZWNJ.

Thanks in advance for your responses/comments,
rosh