newbie:internationalization gtk

hi

   i am a new bie to internationalization.i need a internationalize a gtk application in linux.can anyone tell me where i can find a tutorial on how to internationalize a gtk helloworld program just so that i can internationalize other program on the same lines.
        on my part i tried the follwoing link

http://bo.majewski.name/bluear/gnu/GTK/i18n/index.htm

but could  not succeed.do i need to change the $LANG variable apart from doing all the other things as said in the above link?

thanks in advance
jayasurya