Re: Automatic paragraph direction and BiDirection layouts in Gtk+

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:13:47PM -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Here it is:
>
> - Open gedit under en_US.UTF-8 locale.
>
> - Enter some a few Hebrew letters -> The line should jump to
>   right as soon as you enter the first Hebrew letter.
>
> - Press Enter to go the the next line -> Cursor would jump to the
>   next line, but aligne to left, while it should be right-aligned.
>
> - Now enter a single dot character -> It's left-aligned still,
>   while should be right-aligned.
>
> - Press Enter -> while you go the new line, the line with the
>   single dot would jump to the right and become right-aligned.

This doesn't happen to me... It seems like your problem is that
gtk+ doesn't recognize your keyboard layout as a RTL layout. For
neutral lines, the bidi'ness of the current layout is what
determines the base direction of the cursor line. I admit I am
no familiar with how gtk determines the that. I think it just greps
it for words like "Hebrew" or "Arabic", but I am not sure.

Hopefully this will get you started in tracing down the problem.

> > As for the rest of the comment, I will reread it more properly
> > when I am less tired. What is clear from comments that I got
> > already, is that there must be a way of turning off the
> > automatic BiDi direction.
>

> Well, unfortunately it seems that the rest holds a taste of
> 4AM-effect in it too.
>
> How about setting up an IRC meeting to discuss this bug and
> related things?  I propose Friday March 4th, 10PM UTC.  Dov,
> Owen, Roozbeh, if it's fine with you, we can go and announce it
> on ivrix, persiancomputing, and arabeyes lists too.  The room,
> #unicode irc gnome org?   Quicker the response, more chances we
> can set it up.

Sorry, I can't make it then. I will be quite busy in the next
couple of days I am afraid. But feel free to do it without me,
or wait until after next sunday.

Dov