Re: Automatic paragraph direction and BiDirection layouts in Gtk+

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 dov imagic weizmann ac il wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 07:35:21AM -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > I have
> > successfully compiled and tested pango with auto paragraph
> > direction detection and it looks fascinating.  There's a small
> > but annoying problem:  I'm testing with gedit.  I enter an RTL
> > line, it's right-aligned.  From the algorithm we now that the
> > next line that I'm going to just enter neutral chars, is going to
> > be right-aligned too, but it does not happen until I hit enter
> > and just then the line jumps to right.  Let me make a raw guess,
> > I saw you added a NEUTRAL paragraph direction to minifribidi, but
> > AFAIU the paragraph direction cannot be really neutral.  Because
> > the empty paragraph needs a direction, and it should be either
> > ltr or rtl...
>
> I admit that I have a bit of a difficulty tracing your steps on
> this description. Could you please reproduce the problem step by
> step for dummies?

Here it is:

- Open gedit under en_US.UTF-8 locale.

- Enter some a few Hebrew letters -> The line should jump to
  right as soon as you enter the first Hebrew letter.

- Press Enter to go the the next line -> Cursor would jump to the
  next line, but aligne to left, while it should be right-aligned.

- Now enter a single dot character -> It's left-aligned still,
  while should be right-aligned.

- Press Enter -> while you go the new line, the line with the
  single dot would jump to the right and become right-aligned.

> As for the rest of the comment, I will reread it more properly
> when I am less tired. What is clear from comments that I got
> already, is that there must be a way of turning off the
> automatic BiDi direction.

Well, unfortunately it seems that the rest holds a taste of
4AM-effect in it too.

How about setting up an IRC meeting to discuss this bug and
related things?  I propose Friday March 4th, 10PM UTC.  Dov,
Owen, Roozbeh, if it's fine with you, we can go and announce it
on ivrix, persiancomputing, and arabeyes lists too.  The room,
#unicode irc gnome org?   Quicker the response, more chances we
can set it up.

Thanks
behdad