Re: Malayalam character classification

(Adding Eric and  Raj back to cc list; I  accidentally omitted them in
my reply, which was later bounced to them)

Owen Taylor said on Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 10:33:32AM -0400,:

 > But the first line  is "ka + h + ya +  u" which in my understanding
 > is the correct spelling for the syllable "kyu".

Correct _sequence_. The rendering in your png would be read as `kuya'.

 > I was trying to debug why it was rendering incorrectly.

Please  see the  attached  png. This  is  what people  expect for  the
sequence in the first column. The rendering is on libpango1.0, version
1.4.0-3 with gedit  2.6.1-1 on debian.  The font is  an OTF, with 900+
glyphs.  The  second column  (new lipi) required  some white  space to
prevent the glyph substitution.

Akruti does not render the ya ligature at all for me, so I'm not using
it.

 > Is  currently  rendered by  Pango  as  'ku'  followed by  a  lonely
 > chandrakkala, followed by the isolated  form of ya, which I believe
 > is correct. It isn't really a well formed sequence.

Please see the attached png.

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
With freedom comes responsibility.