Re: Malayalam character classification

Owen Taylor said on Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 02:44:46PM -0400,:

 >  ka + h + ya + u

I am not sure that I have understood you fully here, but ...

In respect of the first line on the png, the sequence,

(ka + h + u + ya)

Should  show k, explicit  virama, u  and ya  separately.  That  is, in
akruti fonts, this should display 4 independent glyphs.

I think the correct unicode sequence for the image shown should be:-

ka + u + h + ya (U+0D15 + U+0D41 + U+0D4D + U+0D2F)

The halant is  necessary, since situations where the  ya has to render
as a separate character exist.

Kindly have a look at http://www.unicode.org/review/pr-37.pdf, which I
believe may be relevant to the rendering shown here. The _proposal_ is
to require use of a  zwnj in situations where the subsequent character
has to render separately.

The second sequence shown is correct.

Also, it will be helpful if you list the bugs you are looking at.

HTH.

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
DICTIONARY, n.  A malevolent literary device for cramping the