A text editor with Pango and Xft

Hi,

I need a text editor which is written using Xlib (no
GTK) and which is integrated with Pango to render all
Indic scripts. (I need this editor for a hand-held
device where there is memory-restriction to put GTK.)

Does any such editor already exist? If not, then I may
need to write one. But I've come to know that the
PangoLayout object is not defined for Xft! Without
this abstraction, how difficult is it to use Pango
with its low-level interface? (pango documentation
says that it's not very convenient!) Is there any
known application which uses Pango with the
Xft-backend?

Thanks.

  Jyotirmoy