fonts w/o unicode mapping

Hi. My system is still unable to display Dingbats and Standard Symbol L. I found that this could be a problem with fonts that don't provide a Unicode character mapping. I wonder if this could be the reason and how I can overcome it. I installed the latest cvs version of fontconfig, pango-1.4, and I'm using the gtk+-2.4.7 font selector.
The fonts are:
Dingbats:style=Regular
Standard Symbols L:style=Regular

BTW, same happens with
Nimbus Sans L, Regular Condensed (no problem with Bold Condensed, Regular Condensed Italic, and Bold Condensed Italic)

I promiss, this is the last time I ask, and I'll give up :-(
I wonder if somebody knows what the problem might be. Thank you!
<ADRIAN>