Re: Eeek! My fonts have the shrinks!

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 18:37, Lars Clausen wrote:
> Strangely, starting from Pango 1.2.4, Pango seems to render fonts in Dia
> very, very small.  The default size (~11000 Pango units) is a single pixel.
> Setting a big font and zooming in, I get to 27 pixels high when using
> 1146879 Pango units for the font height.  I'm using
> pango_ft2_render_layout() for rendering, but I doubt that's to blame, since
> pango_layout_get_pixel_size() agrees with the size given above.  The
> size is set with pango_font_description_set_size().  I'm mighty confused
> and unhappy to have this turn up just before releasing a new version.  Any
> clues or pointers would be appreciated.

Nothing has intentionally changed. We've had another report of a problem
(in the opposite direction ... fonts were too big) so maybe there is
something going wrong in the code to handle DPI. I'd certainly like
a test case.

The main 1.2.3 => 1.2.4 change that seems relevant here is:

Fri Aug  8 12:59:42 2003  Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>

        * pango/pangoft2-fontmap.c (pango_ft2_font_map_default_substitute):
        Move DPI substitution before FcDefaultSubstitute so
        it actually works.

So, possibly the problem is that you were simply relying on fontconfig's
default DPI value before and not setting it correctly yourself.

Hmm, are you using
pango_ft2_font_map_new()/pango_ft2_font_map_create_context()
the old pango_ft2_get_context()?