Re: Pango development trouble (Kerning - PLEASE HELP!)
- From: Damon Chaplin <damon karuna uklinux net>
- To: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- Cc: "Trever L. Adams" <tadams-lists myrealbox com>, Pango Devel <gtk-i18n-list gnome org>, Gtk Devel <gtk-devel-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: Pango development trouble (Kerning - PLEASE HELP!)
- Date: 20 Nov 2003 13:41:48 +0000
On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 16:53, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Wow, what hyperbole! :-) Manual kerns are occasionally useful, but
> way behind, say, justification and hyphenation in terms of typographic
> features that Pango doesn't yet support.
My hyphenation code is pretty much done now, I think. We just need to
sort out the API.
I've also converted hyphenation pattern data for 19 languages from TeX,
which I think we are OK to distribute. The pattern data for the other
10-15 languages has awkward licenses ("non-profit use" etc.).
My justification code is 60-70% done. The main things missing are
support for tabs, kashidas and character spacing.
I think I should have just used a greedy justification algorithm to
start with. The TeX algorithm just made it too complex and I got fed up
with it. I haven't looked at it for a few months. Though I do hope to
get back to it at some point.
] [Thread Prev