Font-Metric: How to obtain "line gap" or "leading" from a font

[I hope this is the right list]

There are methods to retrieve the "ascend", "descend" etc, but not the
"leading" (or "gab") of a font.  One normally calculates the font size as
leading+ascent+descent.  But I haven't found any information on how to
obtain a leading hint from the font.

And while I have your attention, there are two methods to access the font
metric (one via the font description, I think, and one via the real font).
I assume that one returns the overall metric while the other only returns
the metric of the concrete font, yes?

Jost