Trapping character form keyboard.

Hello every body.
Iam a final year Engineering student in Computer science decipline.
Iam trying to develop a multilanguage text editor(for Kannada , Hindi , English etc).
for this iam using Gtk as  a tool.
Prblem is:
I have to capture the character typed to GtkTextWidget before it is
displayed by the widget. And then i have to do some processing and
display the appropriate character of appropriate language.
Can any one sujjest me any Signal or API using which i can capture the
character form GtkTextWidget before it is displayed to GtkText Widget.

I willbe thankful to you
Yours K.Abdul Salam