Re: Unexpected font rendering with pango

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick replies. Here just a few more notes on the issue.

1. The mentioned application lingoteach is not my work, I have just
   downloaded it from freshmeat since I'm looking for a vocabulary
   trainer what is able to display Simplified Chinese chars. However,
   I will have deeper look into it to figure out how it is done, but
   it looks like the apps uses only gtk_set_label calls.

2. A language tag as proposed by Owen is certainly a good solution
   to display a consistent, nice looking layout. However the mentioned
   application allows to add new languages and one doesn't know in
   advance what the user want to add.

3. I do use fontconfig/Xft. At least pango is telling me that when
   I configure it.

   checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1... yes
   checking FONTCONFIG_CFLAGS... -I/usr/local/include
   checking FONTCONFIG_LIBS... -L/usr/local/lib -lfontconfig
   checking for freetype-config... /usr/bin/freetype-config
   checking for FT_Get_Next_Char in -lfreetype... yes
   checking for xft >= 2.0.0... yes
   checking XFT_CFLAGS... -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/freetype2
            -I/usr/X11R6/include
   checking XFT_LIBS... -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXft -lfreetype
            -lz -lXrender -lfontconfig
   configuration:
        backends: FreeType X Xft

   The shared libraries are all available, finally:
   libpango, libpangoft2, libpangox, and libpangoxft.

4. Beside Arial Unicode MS, there are other TTF Simplified Chinese
   fonts available on the system like MsSong, MsHei, SimHei, etc.
   xlsfonts and fc-list reports them all.

I would like to find out what font is really selected by what backend
in this application. Is there a simple log/trace/track mechanism
available in Pango (kind of environment variable or whatever) which
can be easily activated ?

Thanks & regards,
    Stephan.