Re: Pango Builds and RedHat 9.0

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 18:44, Eric Mader wrote:

> I recently upgraded the two machines I use to build Pango to RedHat 7.3
> to RedHat 9.0. After the upgrade, the desktop environment behaved very
> strangely.
>
> After a couple of days of confusion, I realized that it was loading some
> of my old Pango development libraries instead of the newer ones
> installed with the system. This was because I had modified my
> .bash_profile to put "/usr/local/lib" on LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that I
> didn't need to remember to set it everytime I logged in to do Pango
> work. Removing that entry, and cleaning up a couple of other things left
> over from my Pango work, caused the desktop to behave normally.
>
> Is there some clever way to set up these machines so that the desktop
> will continue to use the released version of all the libraries and I can
> also build the latest Pango without having to remember to reset
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH all the time? The best I've been able to come up with is
> to write a shell script that I run whenever I start doing Pango
> development...

I typically avoid installing anything into /usr/local, because my
experience with that is you end up wanting to remove half of
whatever you have there.

There are basically two approaches:

 A) Install everything into some place into /opt, have shell
    aliases/scripts that set up all the environment variables
    appropriately.

    This is how build scripts like 'jhbuild' or 'garnome'
    work, generally.

 B) Just write over the system libraries, using

    ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

I generally take course B), as just a whole lot simpler;
Plus, it forces me to not break things too badly :-)