Pango Builds and RedHat 9.0

Hello,

I recently upgraded the two machines I use to build Pango to RedHat 7.3 to RedHat 9.0. After the upgrade, the desktop environment behaved very strangely.

After a couple of days of confusion, I realized that it was loading some of my old Pango development libraries instead of the newer ones installed with the system. This was because I had modified my .bash_profile to put "/usr/local/lib" on LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that I didn't need to remember to set it everytime I logged in to do Pango work. Removing that entry, and cleaning up a couple of other things left over from my Pango work, caused the desktop to behave normally.

Is there some clever way to set up these machines so that the desktop will continue to use the released version of all the libraries and I can also build the latest Pango without having to remember to reset LD_LIBRARY_PATH all the time? The best I've been able to come up with is to write a shell script that I run whenever I start doing Pango development...

Regards,
Eric Mader
IBM GCoC - San José
5600 Cottle Rd.  M/S 50-2 / B11