Pango and SILGraphite was Re: Possible Pango 1.4 ideas

Hi,
After hearing about the discussion of ideas for pango 1.4 a
discussion has started on the silgraphite list about the possibility
of integrating graphite into pango.

SILGraphite (graphite.sil.org) is a library for providing "rendering
capabilities for complex non-Roman writing systems"/"extensible
complex script behavior"

It is written in C++ but C wrappers for use in C-based projects are
being considered - so it would have to be some kind of plugin - it
isn't for a single writing system and is just for all graphite-
compiled fonts so I'm not sure if it will fit into the current
engine/plugin system.

It is currently being ported to linux
(www.sf.net/projects/silgraphite) and being integrated into windows
Mozilla and hopefully others later (sila.mozdev.org)

Would this be feasible/useful for 1.4? We need to work on a detailed
API proposal and patches , but is it conceptually the kind of thing
you would be interested in? also, see summaries below.

Regards,
Daniel

P.S. where has www.pango.org gone??

On 22 Jan 2003 at 10:59, Sharon_Correll sil org sent forth the message:

[other bits]
> Still, I think Graphite is a much more elegant solution to the problem of
> extensible complex script behavior. And certainly much more practical for
> organizations like SIL,especially if we are going to be using Graphite on
> Windows anyway. (I'd like to think that developing a critical mass of those
> who can tweak/extend GDL would be easier than developing a comparable body
> of people who can tweak/extend Pango! I hope I'm right!) And I've talked to
> enough people at conferences to get the impression that there are those in
> the Linux community who feel that Graphite would be filling a hole.

On 22 Jan 2003 at 15:10, Peter_Constable sil org sent forth the message: