Pango in Desktop Publishing types of scenerios

This may be a flawed problem to begin with, but here goes.  I am working
on a Desktop Publishing application, similar to Adobe InDesign for
GNome, it would be nice to have native OS X support (but I am not doing
that yet).  I really would like to be fully Unicode/i18n compliant.
This requires ideas such as Pango (gnome-print may be involved here as
well).  However, it seems that Pango does not directly allow, or allow
hacks that then call Pango as needed, for the following:

Leading, kerning and tracking (I can provide definitions if needed).

Odd type paths, such as writing around circles or on a drawn line (This
would be easy to fake with Pango other than the glyph replacements in
such things as Arabic).

Odd paragraph/page shapes.  This could easily be implimented if a
callback was allowed which would take the y cordinate of any new lines
and allow for the x to begin with to be provided.  As you write on the
line, the current line size (y) and current x were provided... this
would then allow the call back to say, here is the x to begin on, okay,
the end on what you told me is currently x.  It could also say such
things as, Page/object full, give me where you currently are in
rendering things.

Given, the documentation I have seen on Pango lacks some good example
good, and I haven't totally played with it yet, but these seem to be
things that are lacking in both Pango.

Sorry if this is the wrong list, It is what the pango.org site led me
to.  Also, please cc me.  I am not on the list at this time.

Thank you for any help you can offer and thank you for letting me offer
my ideas of what Pango needs to do.

Trever
--
"For of all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these: "It
might have been!" -- John G. Whittier (1807,1892)