Re: How to get started

Owen Taylor wrote:
Jan <jandersen striva com> writes:

[...]
My project is as follows: I am studying Chinese and I want to make a
simple tool that I can use for making linguistic notes - something like
a 'dictionary', more or less. It would allow me to enter Chinese
phrases, their pronunciation in eg. pinyin and/or bopomofo and comments
in English or any language I might choose at the time (perhaps even a
mix?), and it should have search facilities - especially a radical index.

[...]

There is really not much about the tool you describe that is "international". Basically, with GTK+ 2 and Unicode, text is just text.
Logically, that is true, of course - however, in practise it isn't quite, firstly because there isn't any font that covers the entire range of Unicode, as far as I know, and secondly because I want to be able to display Chinese characters in at least simplified as well as full form, plus I want to add a facility to enter 'variant forms' (like eg. seal characters).

The only real question is that of input method. System integration
of mixed input methods is not very good on Linux currently.
But for the type of text you describe above, it doesn't actually
sound like you need a mixed input method; a Chinese input method
like xcin should good enough.

But in any case, that's more of a user configuration issue than
a programmer issue.

Is this really just a matter of standard GTK+ coding? I want to avoid producing something that can't later be used to enter, say, Arabic or whatever, just because I made a bad design decision in the beginning. I don't object to using xcin, but I want to be able to use any other input method at a later state without reprogramming - all things like fonts, input methods, lannguage etc should be fully configurable, which I think should be simple enough to do.

Thanks for your help!

/jan