gnome 2.0 and hebrew

Hebrew support in Gnome 2.0 (RH 8.0) seems to be broken.

I added hebrew to the keyboard layout switcher it did
not work - not hebrew input, just english.

I took a closer look at the layout (use "Edit" button
of the layout switcher) and to my greatest surprise found
that thebrew language is not listed.

Well, sort of. When I add hebrew layout the it shows
hebrew language, but if I hit the dropdown button and
try to find hebrew in the list of available languages
- it's not there ! Which probably explains why it was not
working in the first place.

Any ideas how to cure this problem ?