Re: pango and gtkmathview

Luca Padovani <lpadovan cs unibo it> writes:

> (2) the occasional need of precise metrics information, such as side
> bearings of glyphs, or the italic correction

Maybe this is irrelevant, but I'll add that to implement the algorithm
in appendix G in the TeXBook, you need a lot of metrics of a font,
including the axis_height (position of such things as minus signs and
fractions), default_rule_thickness and detailed information about
spacings operators and heights of delimiters.

I may be possible to generate these parameters heuristically; in fact
I believe there the infamous fontinst TeX program can do this.

The algorithm in The TeXBook is worth taking a look at if you are
typesetting mathematics.