multi-rectangle canvas

Hello Everyone,

As some of you know, I have been experimenting with Pango.
I have recently deciding to pursue another path in utilizing
Pango.  During this new experimental implementation port, the
following situation arose:

Consider a web page, for example, that is littered with
images.  The text script is complex, and the rendering of the
text will involve wrapping, and skipping the canvas sections
that contain images.

I have started reading through the Pango APIs again, and
may come across a solution as I continue.  My question is,
how does one specify the "sub-canvas" rectangles to Pango,
where it is OK to place the script, or is this completely
user implemented through the pango_XX_render routines?

Any direction appreciated.

Regards.