Re: Question regarding gnome-font-properties resolution

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 17:20, Joshua Outwater wrote:
> I'm working on the new synth look and feel for swing.  One of the look
> and feels based off synth is the GTK look and feel.  I am trying to find
> out information regarding the gnome-font-properties application which
> allows the setting of font preferences.  Under the "Details" window
> there is a setting for reolution.  We would like to pick up this setting
> and apply it to our look and feel.  Can anyone point me to information
> regarding how this value affects font rendering and where it is stored?

There are basically two paths:

 properties dialog => Xft.dpi => Xft library
 properties dialog => XSETTINGS => GTK+ => Xft library

The second is currently only present on GNOME within Red Hat Linux
(I haven't felt comfortable integrating the changes into upstream
GTK+ for various reasons), and is there to allow change-on-the-fly.

So, you can get things mostly right by simply looking at the
Xft.dpi X resource.

But if Swing is to properly integrate into the Linux and/or into the
GNOME desktop it needs to be using Xft (or at least fontconfig).
There's no way around that. And when using Xft, then you generally
shouldn't have to worry about the resolution yourself.

(Though I don't know the details of resolution handling in Swing;
a good analogy for Xft.dpi, is that it is like the logical resolution
on Windows.)