Question regarding gnome-font-properties resolution

I'm working on the new synth look and feel for swing.  One of the look
and feels based off synth is the GTK look and feel.  I am trying to find
out information regarding the gnome-font-properties application which
allows the setting of font preferences.  Under the "Details" window
there is a setting for reolution.  We would like to pick up this setting
and apply it to our look and feel.  Can anyone point me to information
regarding how this value affects font rendering and where it is stored?

Thanks for your help,

Joshua Outwater
Swing Team