language support

Hi!

How should one go about writing an application that supports
several different fonts (languages).
In particular I need an app, that allows a user to enter
text in say arabic, english, german and russian.
I would like these (single line) entries to appear in the same
window, and display the individual texts with their respective
typefaces.
Can this be done at all? (wihtout the need to draw the fonts
manually)

I've been messing around with the gtk_font_load for some of
the cyrillic fonts - but I can't get the app to display the correct
fonts - not even if I manually change the font in X with
xmodmap.

I read somewhere that to display the correct fonts I had to set
the LC_ XXXX environment variables - well... this isn't doable
on a per gtk_widget basis (I suspect). Does this mean I'm out of luck?

Oh... and it has to be with gtk+ 1.2 - which as far as I can
understand excludes pango?

TIA
  Thomas