Font install problems ...

Hi folks:

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question:

I am trying to install TTF fonts on a linux distribution. I think I did
that sucessfully since 'xlsfonts' lists all the fonts I installed. But
when I tried to access these fonts in Gnome for usage in say gedit or
as for the desktop, the fonts are not displayed for selection (by
gnome). I have done this with Mandrake 9.0, RedHat 8.0, and Debian 3.0
Unstable (Debian and Mandrake don't display any of the new fonts, and
RedHat displays only half of them).

Anyone have any insight to this?

Does the locale affect the availability of fonts on a system?

Thanks in advance.

-D